Most people want a life insurance to make sure that their dependents are secured in case of their untimely demise. How much insurance you need will depend on so many factors. For instance, if you retire from work and do not have any dependents, your insurance requirements is different than if you have dependents like your spouse, parents, or children. There are steps to follow to help you estimate your insurance need. If you want an accurate computation, you should make use of an insurance calculator instrument or you may ask an insurance professional.
- Identify the probable cost of your death. Funeral costs depend on the type of service or burial. This is the clearest factor but do not forget to include other expenses such as medical expenses, mortgages, estate taxes, and outstanding debts (if any). You may get a small policy that will cover your death expenses even if you don’t have dependents.
- If you have children and spouse who depend on your income, you need to purchase a replacement income which you must estimate depending on the amount that your dependents need to sustain their life in case you die. Get your annual income and then multiply it with years left up to retirement. Add the answer to the cost of death computed on the first step.
- Include future expenses in your replacement income such as tuition fees, daily expenses, home repairs, child care, etc.
- Deduct your assets such as bank savings, retirement plans, investments, other income and spouse’s income. The total will be your estimated insurance need.
- If you want a more accurate estimate, compute your estimate online using an insurance calculator tool. It can be found on insurance and financial companies’ websites. The calculator may also include other pertinent data such as inflation, special needs by your family and tax bracket for you and your partner
There are no right or wrong answer in the question how much life insurance do you need. An increase in income and responsibilities may change the coverage of your insurance. Depending on your current life stage, it may be possible that you don’t need any life insurance like if you are single and has no dependents.